Interupt handlers

General discussion about Visopsys.
osmiumusa

Interupt handlers

Post by osmiumusa »

Hello!

I was just curious because after a couple of hours I couldn't find them... where are the exception handlers for specific interupts (specifically int 15)? I'm trying to make the OS shutdown with APM using int 15 and when I try I get the kernel panic for the reserved interupt. I basically want to know where that exception is actually handled, and where I can tell it to ignore it.

Thank you,

~osmiumusa :mrgreen:
Lemons. :) Nobody doesn't like lemons!
andymc

Re: Interupt handlers

Post by andymc »

osmiumusa wrote:Hello!

I was just curious because after a couple of hours I couldn't find them... where are the exception handlers for specific interupts (specifically int 15)? I'm trying to make the OS shutdown with APM using int 15 and when I try I get the kernel panic for the reserved interupt. I basically want to know where that exception is actually handled, and where I can tell it to ignore it.

Thank you,

~osmiumusa :mrgreen:
Hello,

You can't use the BIOS interrupts in Visopsys - they're (generally) 16-bit "real mode" code, but Visopsys runs in 32-bit protected mode.

Visopsys is fairly plug-and-play, so (hardware) interrupts are handled by whatever hardware driver is driving the device on that interrupt line. Visopsys doesn't use software interrupts.

The good news is that the next version of Visopsys can shut down (most) systems using a partial ACPI driver that was implemented specifically for that purpose.

Andy
osmiumusa

Post by osmiumusa »

Fantastic! Any target date for the release of 0.8?
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi!

Not sure about 0.8 yet -- that's still pretty far away.

Version 0.71 is ready for release now.

I'm hoping to get everything posted up tonight, before I leave for a 2-week holiday!
osmiumusa

Post by osmiumusa »

Oh, ok. I was assuming that with such a large improvement such as the acpi shutdown the version would advance a whole .1

Looking forward to it. How easy will it be to incorporate the changes I've made (mainly graphical) from .7 to .71?
andymc

Post by andymc »

Released! :geek: http://visopsys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=461#p461

Nothing much graphical has changed, IIRC, so you should be able to patch/drop in whatever changes you've been working on..