visopsys.org

Visopsys Forums
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Visopsys discussion forum
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:23 am 

Hi..I'm currently studying about kernel and boot programs... i found your OS so useful. so what type of kernel do you use.. is it monolithic-kernel? and what about the executable files.. are they elf-kernel or something else?...

And You have done a great work :clap: in developing this OS....

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:46 pm 

Thanks ruben 8-)

Yes, it's a very monolithic kernel. It even has elements of the GUI right in the kernel (it's a VISual OPerating SYStem after all ;) ).

Currently, all of the executables are ELF, yes, even the kernel. Although the kernel executable is linked a bit differently than the userspace programs.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:14 pm 

Thanks for the help.. Nice work keep goin' . :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:28 pm 

Every OS has a niche. For security, I find myself running some variant of BSD. For using the latest and greatest open source project, that's only been ported to Linux, I might use that OS (I prefer Alpine). For a network-ready, quick starting live CD/USB OS, I might use Haiku on a PC, or RiscOSOpen on a Pi. So, where does VIsopsys fit in?

In the .81 release thread, I mention my trying to use VIsopsys to view photos of my dog. There really aren't many operating systems that come to mind, when I think about a "photo stick". A "photo stick" could be inserted into your camera (if by photo "stick" we mean a micro-SD or regular SD memory card). Subsequently, the uSD or SD could be inserted into a uSD/USB adapter, plugged into a PC, and voila` - we ostensibly could have an instant photo viewer for the photos on the disk, if the stick were to be powered by Visopsys. No muss, no fuss. Pull it from the camera, insert it into the PC, and go.

This is just throwing some ideas out there. When the full-stack networking comes along, there are other (sort-of) "niche" uses I could think Visopsys might be suitable for ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7