doga-1494

GCC PORTING TO VISOPSYS ??

Post by doga-1494 »

How can we port gcc to visopsys ??
and is it possible ?? :?:
andymc

Re: GCC PORTING TO VISOPSYS ??

Post by andymc »

I think it's possible, and it would be a really good thing.

It's been a long time since I've looked at it; first look to see how to build GCC so that it cross-compiles for Visopsys (i.e. so that it doesn't need any special directives on the command line to create Visopsys executables) and then use it to compile itself. I believe that's how it would go. It would require some config and include file changes, mostly, and probably some additions/modifications to the Visopsys C library...
doga-1494

Post by doga-1494 »

Yeah it will be very good if we can use gcc inside of visopsys :D and what about zlib and other required stuff ? does visopsys have these stuff ? or we need to implement that ??

After GCC probably we can write and upgrade kernel inside of visopsys and other system stuff. its pretty cool lol :D
fosforito

Post by fosforito »

Hello! I was thinking to port the zlib library to visopsys to code some small compression tools.Or are any compression libraries already included?
andymc

Post by andymc »

fosforito wrote:Hello! I was thinking to port the zlib library to visopsys to code some small compression tools.Or are any compression libraries already included?
Good idea! But, I'm 0.5 steps ahead of you -- I have an almost-complete implementation of the 'compress' (gzip) algorithm that I was working on, a little while back. I was sorta targeting that for the 0.8 release. I'd like for the Disk Manager (Partition Logic) do be able to do compressed partition/disk images in the same way as Norton Ghost. My implementation is ~80% complete, I think, though I put it on the back-burner a little while ago to work on improved hardware support.