visopsys.org

Visopsys Forums
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Visopsys 0.81 Released
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm 

Hello everybody,

I've had a bit less free time lately, while my new daughter grew through her newborn phase, but I've been steadily polishing the last big 0.8 release in late-night coding sessions, as well as working on new features for the next big release. There were quite a lot of changes accumulating, so I decided it was time to package things up and do a release, available now on the download page http://visopsys.org/download

The change log http://visopsys.org/download/change-log has the details, but here's the executive summary:

Code:
Overview: This maintenance version polishes the 0.8 release with bug fixes, enhanced hardware support, mouse scroll-wheel integration, better EXT4 filesystem handling, and improved reliability and performance.

I know some of you had experienced problems with certain hardware since the introduction of the APIC driver; I can't promise that I've fixed everything, but I think things are in a better state now.

Post subject: Re: Visopsys 0.81 Released
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm 

Hello Andy. I understand about the little one. I had four of them myself soooo many years ago.

Anyway - relative to the new version of Visopsys (.81): horray! horray!

The .81 version of Visopsys now works on my Athlon 7860 dual core x86_64, which is on an ASUS N68 motherboard. It has 2G memory and is from the 2012 timeframe (approximately). Version 8.0pre was working except for just the mouse. Now the wireless USB (Logitech) mouse is working fine!

Also glad to hear you're putting a TCP stack into version .90.

- Ron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 pm 

Hi Ron, thanks! Nice to see you again :-)

Glad to hear things are working better for you. My new-ish workstation is similar to yours, except maybe a couple of years newer - 8-core, Athlon64, Asus or Asrock (something like that) motherboard, and Nvidia. It's got several USB (1+2+3) controllers and dual I/O APICs. The OS wasn't working on it (usually I'm using it to develop, not to test!) but I decided to focus on getting it working, and solved a few problems along the way.

Does the scroll wheel on your wireless USB mouse work? You can test it in e.g. a command window or the tree in the devices program. That's the one thing that I couldn't figure out on this workstation. Mine's a Microsoft wireless mouse with a composite keyboard/mouse receiver dongle thingy.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:40 pm 

andymc wrote:
Hi Ron, thanks! Nice to see you again :-)

Glad to hear things are working better for you. My new-ish workstation is similar to yours, except maybe a couple of years newer - 8-core, Athlon64, Asus or Asrock (something like that) motherboard, and Nvidia. It's got several USB (1+2+3) controllers and dual I/O APICs. The OS wasn't working on it (usually I'm using it to develop, not to test!) but I decided to focus on getting it working, and solved a few problems along the way.

Does the scroll wheel on your wireless USB mouse work? You can test it in e.g. a command window or the tree in the devices program. That's the one thing that I couldn't figure out on this workstation. Mine's a Microsoft wireless mouse with a composite keyboard/mouse receiver dongle thingy.

Andy

I have the same result here, relative to the mouse scrolling. It doesn't seem to scroll in a command window or textbox. All of my wired and USB wireless mice work now. Some are Logitech, and some are Microsoft mice. BTW: my machine has the Nvidia video card, same as yours.

I decided to use Visopsys to view a fresh batch of dog photos. I have a #106 Lab/Rottweiler/GermanShepherd/SiberianHushy mix (We did the DNA swab to get that info, LOL).

Anyway, I added an extra partition to the USB stick I'm using for Visopsys, and I made that partition a lot bigger than the boot partition (1.5G), so that it could hold the photos. Then I loaded "Hutch's" photos from another machine onto the stick. Visopsys mounted the new photo partition with this command:

Code:
mount sd0b photos-partition

I discovered that the "mount" command creates the mount point automatically if it doesn't already exist. Wish my other OS's would do that! Using the file browser from image-edit, I could view the photo icons in the new partition OK, but after clicking on them, they seemed to be taking a long while to load. I decided that the photos might load faster from a ram disk, so I tried to make one with this command:

Code:
ramdisk create 100M 

That command didn't seem to work, though. I'll post a report about it in the bug-thread.

- Ron