Visopsys 0.84+ (2019-08-09) cannot detect a harddrive

General discussion about Visopsys. We'll create more specific forums if the number of posts justifies that.
ronaldlees

Re: Visopsys 0.84+ (2019-08-09) cannot detect a harddrive

Post by ronaldlees » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Hi Andy,

Thought I'd stop by and see if you'd released another version. I must have had a clairvoyant connection - since you've just mentioned in the previous post that you're about ready to do it. Any networking in the next version uptick or is that still targeted for the dot nine release? With your being so busy, it seems like maybe you've switched your day job?

- Ron

andymc

Post by andymc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 am

andymc wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:44 am
My own dev workstation can't boot Visopsys. It looks like the problem is also interrupt-related. Maybe the same cause? I've been procrastinating debugging it because it's awkward to test on the same machine you normally use for compiling :-) Anyway, maybe I should focus on this one here, and give you whatever debug version proves useful. Debugging interrupts is a pain.
Yeah, looks like something's not quite right with the APIC driver on this machine. There's some device that keeps firing unserviced interrupts and it's messing everything up. It's a complicated thing though, so I'll need a bit of time just to re-read the docs and get my mind back in that zone. Unless something just pops out at me, we'll see.

Hopefully whatever I fix here will fix your problem too.

andymc

Post by andymc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 am

ronaldlees wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:01 pm
Thought I'd stop by and see if you'd released another version. I must have had a clairvoyant connection - since you've just mentioned in the previous post that you're about ready to do it. Any networking in the next version uptick or is that still targeted for the dot nine release? With your being so busy, it seems like maybe you've switched your day job?
Hi Ron!

No, still at the same old job. What's changed is an extra child, a wee one who's not quite sleeping through the night yet, and who at the same time is very active and mobile for her age - with limited understanding of gravity/danger :-)

The TCP/DNS code is all in 0.9 I'm afraid, but it's getting close now. I want to finish one more feature and then a bit of visual updating, that's all.

In the meantime though 0.85 is ready to go anytime. I might just see how this APIC debugging goes, so I can get any fix out to qmastery ASAP.

andymc

Post by andymc » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:24 am

andymc wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 am
Yeah, looks like something's not quite right with the APIC driver on this machine. There's some device that keeps firing unserviced interrupts and it's messing everything up. It's a complicated thing though, so I'll need a bit of time just to re-read the docs and get my mind back in that zone. Unless something just pops out at me, we'll see.
Update: still working on this, but it's a MOFO tricky one. It's like legitimate devices are interrupting legitimately, but the interrupt service routines (ISRs) of several PCI drivers (IDE, different USB ones) aren't recognizing them, and then complaining about missed interrupts. Very weird, doesn't seem like a timing issue (lots of retries in the ISRs don't help). Maybe an end-of-interrupt problem in the APICs. Anyway, still working.

ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:15 am

andymc wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 am

Hi Ron!

No, still at the same old job. What's changed is an extra child, a wee one who's not quite sleeping through the night yet, and who at the same time is very active and mobile for her age - with limited understanding of gravity/danger :-)
OK Andy. Those little ones take priority, no doubt. Had four of them myself (long, long time ago). Thanks for the update. That network stuff will be fun to tinker with - when dot nine arrives. BTW: Merry Christmas to you and yours (including newest addition).

- Ron