Visopsys 0.91 - Return of the RAMdisk?

General discussion about Visopsys. We'll create more specific forums if the number of posts justifies that.
qmastery

Visopsys 0.91 - Return of the RAMdisk?

Post by qmastery »

Good day, Andy! How are you doing? Hope you are in a great health and everything is going well in your life.
Recently we've discovered that Lenovo G505S has bad IRQ routing in a coreboot BIOS, and found the way to fix it!
Now I've re-tested your special 2019-08-09 0.84 floppy with a RAMdisk support from https://visopsys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=338
and the results are really spectacular! :) Discovering this wasn't a Visopsys fault I'm really sorry I bothered you with debug logs a while ago :oops: ,
although it helped to resolve some other problems so it wasn't in vain. After adding the same floppy to a new coreboot BIOS G505S build as a RAMdisk
1) I'm able to access the HDD and see its' partition table
2) USB is working fine: tested a USB mouse and USB flash drive. Mouse also helped me to discover that a "Visopsys freeze problem"
was actually a touchpad breaking down on some conditions. under Linux, sometimes I'm seeing the messages like these at dmesg kernel log:

Code: Select all

psmouse serio1: Touchpad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 6
psmouse serio1: Touchpad at isa0060/serio1/input0 - driver resynced.
But it seems that Linux (and KolibriOS) could find a way around this "broken hardware" since it's continuing to work under these OS.

Considering this great success:
Please, could you return the RAMdisk support (Visopsys floppy being used as a RAMdisk) at the next version of Visopsys?
I've tried your earlier suggestion of simply creating a "/ramdisk" at the floppy's root, it didn't work but maybe I misunderstood something?
andymc

Re: Visopsys 0.91 - Return of the RAMdisk?

Post by andymc »

Hi qmastery

That /ramdisk feature ought to still work, in theory. The code went into the latest release. But to be honest I doubt I tested it in the newer version. I'll have to give it a go here and see what it's doing. I'll need to look back at some of the guidance you gave me previously.
qmastery

Post by qmastery »

andymc wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:25 pmI'll need to look back at some of the guidance you gave me previously.
Thank you. I just re-tested these instructions at https://visopsys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1536#p1536 : almost everything works fine, except that ./cbfstool.sh for wgetting a minimal set of sources & building your own cbfstool (used for adding a floppy to coreboot.rom) - doesn't work anymore because a new version of it grew in dependencies. So you'd need to either trust the old cbfstool binary which I put to this archive 1 year ago, or git clone the whole coreboot repo for building it from source. Other than that, the only thing I needed to do is to remove a -localtime argument from a qemu.sh launch command (guess it depends on a qemu version)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# qemu.sh script
qemu-system-x86_64 -L . -m 256 -vga vmware -net nic,model=rtl8139 \
 -net user -soundhw ac97 -usb -usbdevice tablet -bios ./coreboot.rom -serial stdio
Hope this could provide you a smooth debugging experience and RAMdisk feature is just one inch from working again ;)

P.S. I re-read your instruction and it says
So the current plan is: if there's a file /ramdisk in the boot floppy, the OS loader will load the entire boot medium into RAM, and pass a new kernel parameter to tell the kernel about it. The kernel will create a RAMdisk for this memory during initialization, which is treated the same as any physical disk, and the disk initialization code should be able to locate it as the boot disk.
My mistake was that I created a directory with the same name, but sadly replacing it with a file didn't activate RAMdisk
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi qmastery, sorry for the delay. I haven't had much spare time lately, and I've been working on a couple of Visopsys things already that required all my attention. I got a minute just now and tried the /ramdisk. It seems like the RAM disk loading fails for me in the bootloader? The progress bar stops. Is that what you saw?

I wasn't trying the coreboot yet, just a floppy image booting into vmware with /ramdisk