Visopsys 0.91 Released

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Visopsys 0.91 Released

Post by andymc »

Available on the download page.

https://visopsys.org/download/

From the change log (https://visopsys.org/download/change-log/):
Overview: This maintenance release fixes RAM disk boot support, adds sparse file support to the EXT filesystem driver, and updates various build-related things.
  • Added support for sparse files to the EXT filesystem driver.
  • Fixed some problems with the RAM disk boot feature, first introduced in version 0.85.
  • Added a cross-compiling toolchain to the build system, to reduce the fragility of relying on the host system’s compiler and associated programs, and fixed a number of warnings and errors that emerged from that.
  • Updated the administration.conf files for German, Spanish, Russian, and Turkish.
  • Updated sources and fixed some warnings and errors, when building with GCC versions 7 through 10.
  • Added a kernel linker script, so that we have finer control over the layout of the kernel binary.
  • Isolated architecture-dependent code and parameterized the build system with the architecture. For now, still just 32-bit x86.
  • Renamed the floppy image file to include the word ‘floppy’.
  • Factored some code in the BIOS OS loader and fixed some rounding errors.
  • Added byte offsets to various structures described in <sys/elf.h>.
  • Removed the unused kernel function kernelSysTimerWaitTicks().
ronaldlees

Re: Visopsys 0.91 Released

Post by ronaldlees »

Hi Andy,
Hope you are well in these times. Thanks for the update v.91 - will have to see if it'll compile for me OK.
andymc

Re: Visopsys 0.91 Released

Post by andymc »

Thanks Ron,

I hope you and yours have been keeping well.

There's a new way to compile: first building a cross-compiling toolchain (binutils and gcc) from sources, as a kind of one-time operation. It's described in the updated BUILDING.txt.

The vagaries of relying on whatever compiler configuration is installed on a build machine became too much, when I upgraded my Mint workstation and couldn't build a working system. I did discover the cause in the end, and could probably have fixed it with a compile flag, but long-term I think this is a good step.

Andy