Translating Visopsys OS

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Re: Translating Visopsys OS

Post by andymc »

Sure, will do, Liss. Give me a couple of days; I'm buried in the compression library code and need to keep my focus as much as possible (this stuff is kind of difficult).
andymc

Post by andymc »

But, I should say that it's awesome that you did this, thanks a lot!
fosforito

Post by fosforito »

Hi! I just wanted to greet you guys and share an image with you. Practicing with Inkscape ;)

Let's see when Visopsys will have 1.000.000 Posts :D

:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:
Attachments
visopsys-1000.png
andymc

Post by andymc »

Liss wrote:I did it! Completion is about 97%. Not translated some specific strings at telnet and fontutil. Andy, can you integrate translate to system and give me image? I want to take out mistakes in translate.
Hi Liss!

Sorry it's taken me so long, the compression library stuff was pretty intense, but I think it's finished now.

I just released version 0.77, and now I've tried integrating your translation.

I'd post it up for you to try, but actually without the Russian language charset/font support, it just looks like nonsense.

Version 0.8, which is getting close to being ready, will have much better charset support, and I think I can add all the needed font characters so that this translation works properly. I'd like to be able to add Russian to that release! 0.8 will also make managing and editing fonts and charsets a lot easier.

One thing I noticed, is that the configuration files in under /system/config still need translation. Quite a lot of what the user sees comes from there. Any chance you can give those a look?

PS> don't worry about telnet, and especially fontutil (that one will be completely different in 0.8). src/programs/fdisk is an important one, though!
Liss

Post by Liss »

Hi, Andy. I have translate files that send me fosforito. My fdisk folder is empty. If you send me fresh PO files, i`ll update translate.
I think the files in the /system/config does not need to be translated yet. Our system is experimental and is interested only geeks who already can read English. More important support for the Russian language in general. A translation is a pleasant addition to language support. Language support might attract developers who would be interested to participate in the development. What can our programmers, you can see in http://kolibrios.org/en/ (as a patriotic note :)
andymc

Post by andymc »

I'm working on the charset and font changes now :-) Almost there - I've got your translations with Cyrillic characters in the command windows, but not the GUI controls. I hope to figure it out tonight. When I do, I can send back the PO files. Translating the config files is really easy and fast, and they would make it look properly Russian :-)
posle

Post by posle »

I am interested what characters set you plan to use for Cyrillic characters?
andymc

Post by andymc »

I'm using the ISO-8859 sets in Visopsys, so ISO-8859-5 for Russian. ISO-8859-9 for Turkish. ISO-8859-15 for Western Europe, and ISO-8859-16 for some Eastern ones.
Liss

Post by Liss »

waiting for results :)
andymc

Post by andymc »

Coming, coming! :-) I didn't have much time yesterday. I can force it to work in the GUI now, but I just need to figure out the 'right' way to do it.

It's just a matter of deciding when to read the user's CHARSET environment variable and load the correct glyph data into each font. I can update the default GUI fonts any time a window is created, but the programmer can also specify a custom font for each window component. I need to make sure those have the correct glyphs available also.