Visopsys discussion forum

General discussion about Visopsys.
ruben

Re: Visopsys discussion forum

Post by ruben »

Hi..I'm currently studying about kernel and boot programs... i found your OS so useful. so what type of kernel do you use.. is it monolithic-kernel? and what about the executable files.. are they elf-kernel or something else?...

And You have done a great work :clap: in developing this OS....
andymc

Post by andymc »

Thanks ruben 8-)

Yes, it's a very monolithic kernel. It even has elements of the GUI right in the kernel (it's a VISual OPerating SYStem after all ;) ).

Currently, all of the executables are ELF, yes, even the kernel. Although the kernel executable is linked a bit differently than the userspace programs.
ruben

Post by ruben »

Thanks for the help.. Nice work keep goin' . :)
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Every OS has a niche. For security, I find myself running some variant of BSD. For using the latest and greatest open source project, that's only been ported to Linux, I might use that OS (I prefer Alpine). For a network-ready, quick starting live CD/USB OS, I might use Haiku on a PC, or RiscOSOpen on a Pi. So, where does VIsopsys fit in?

In the .81 release thread, I mention my trying to use VIsopsys to view photos of my dog. There really aren't many operating systems that come to mind, when I think about a "photo stick". A "photo stick" could be inserted into your camera (if by photo "stick" we mean a micro-SD or regular SD memory card). Subsequently, the uSD or SD could be inserted into a uSD/USB adapter, plugged into a PC, and voila` - we ostensibly could have an instant photo viewer for the photos on the disk, if the stick were to be powered by Visopsys. No muss, no fuss. Pull it from the camera, insert it into the PC, and go.

This is just throwing some ideas out there. When the full-stack networking comes along, there are other (sort-of) "niche" uses I could think Visopsys might be suitable for ...
andymc

Post by andymc »

I do think 'niche' is the future of Visopsys, even though my goal for version 1.0 is to experiment with a new kind of GUI that would be general-purpose. That's mostly just for my own satisfaction.

Bootable sticks that are configured to do one thing: yes. Like Partition Logic, for example. Privacy/security-oriented things maybe.

Kiosk-type stuff: yes also. I do have a vaguely-defined plan to attempt this. Ticket machines, self-checkouts, those sorts of things. If I ever quit my day job, I imagine it's because I'll be trying to do that, using Visopsys as a base.
andymc

Post by andymc »

samairakh wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:57 am I have taken a stab at designing my whole hard drive and introduce the operating system. I made a boot menu and each time I attempt to boot from hd0a the boot procedure never commences. I attempted form 0.70 and 0.69. I attempted commonly however it simply hasn't worked. I am simply utilizing one parcel fat32. The boot menu appears yet peruses "booting..." and hangs. Has anybody experience this?
Can you try with a newer version, perhaps the latest one (0.84) and let us know if that's any better?
andymc

Post by andymc »

PattersonThompson wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 am Hello admin, Thanks & congratulations for this great forum. I would like to know if we can use Visopsys for different pc games like Destiny 2, Fortnite, Minecraft ?
Hello and welcome,

No, Visopsys is a different operating system and not specifically a gaming platform. Theoretically yes if the people who develop those games wanted to port them to Visopsys (like porting from Windows to Linux, say) but my strong hunch is that they wouldn't want to do that.

Andy