Visopsys discussion forum

General discussion about Visopsys.
Raimundo Abreu

Re: Visopsys discussion forum

Post by Raimundo Abreu »

Hi Andy, I'm using Virtual PC to run the program, and during initialization an error occurs in the Kernel, "System halted: Panic at kernelMultitasker.c: kernelException (1796)".
how can I fix this?
Thanks
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Raimundo,

There does seem to be a problem/bug with VPC and the way it implements task switching, and so far I haven't been able to come up with a workaround. I've discussed it with an engineer at Microsoft but we didn't come up with a solution. Visopsys uses the built-in mechanisms of the x86 chip to do task switching, which neither Windows or Linux uses, so I guess that's why the bug has never been fixed. I've done a little bit of experimentation, and finding the solution is on my to-do list.

Andy
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi sundhar

See my reponse here http://visopsys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89#p89 in your other thread.

Andy
Asper

Post by Asper »

andymc

Do you like to do everything yourself or you want people to help you? :)
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Asper,

Contributions are welcome. You'll there's a contrib/ subdirectory that contains the original stuff submitted by other developers, which have (for the most part) been integrated into the main source tree and mostly maintained by me.

If you'd like to add anything, it's probably a good idea to coordinate with me.

Andy
espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

Hey! I got some "excellent" ideas for Visopsys. First: cut, copy and paste. Second: "Save as..." command for the text editor. Third: I can translate Visopsys to Spanish and Portuguese, and maybe in the future to French and Esperanto. If you like the 2 1st ideas, please add it to Visopsys 0.7 Final! If you like the third idea, please contact me. I got very, awesome much free time ( :D ).
espectalll123, making dreams work!
andymc

Post by andymc »

Absolutely, cut and paste is something that's needed. Obviously it would need a generic 'object' framework so that different kinds of things could be used with it (e.g. text, images, dragging and dropping icons, etc).

I don't think it will be in 0.7 final though :lol: I'm just trying to nail down one last bug :violin:

Your translation offer is ace, though :banana-jumprope:. Since 0.7_PRE I've added internationalization stuff (standard unix-y .po messages style). A lot of stuff is already translated into German.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Please see the following post for a download link to the Visopsys 0.7 release candidate:
http://visopsys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72
espectalll123

Re: Visopsys discussion forum (translations)

Post by espectalll123 »

One thing: how I can translate? So, I modify the source code or what? :think: I need to know how make it...
espectalll123, making dreams work!
andymc

Post by andymc »

Don't have time to type it up right this minute, but I can do later. Have a look at the messages files stuff in Linux (.po and .pot files). All the strings get extracted into a text file, and you just add the translations. Then the locale variables can be set to tell the application which language file to use.