Visopsys discussion forum

General discussion about Visopsys.
espectalll123

Re: Visopsys discussion forum: My ideas for 0.8

Post by espectalll123 »

Yep, I started to think about 0.8 :!:
I got some good ideas for the future releases (maybe some will be for 0.9/1.0 by it complex concept) The ideas are this:

1· C libraries ended or, at least, an API for develop Visopsys apps.
2· Include the clock in the window bar (an exterior app that shows on the bottom the clock is'nt a good idea) :evil: .
3· New icons! The actual are (a bit) ugly photos! The sycamoreent icons are a good idea, no?
4· As I talked with Andy: cut, copy and past. Yes, is difficult if we think that is not only text, but...
5· The translations... and better keyboard mapping! The Spanish keyboard mapping is very bad, I tried. Where the "ñ" goes, Visopsys put "€"! That's very ilogical!
6· Help support and tutorial (is a good idea?). New users can learn Visopsys using it.
7· TCP/IP, modem/router drivers and a web browser. MenuetOS got this, in a simple diskette! Made with assembler! If it can be made for Visopsys...
8· And, finally, the PS/2 mouse patch. When I'm bored, I move the mouse. So, if Visopsys is booting and the mouse make that boot stop... :doh:

One more thing: I will add Visopsys to my website! Remember: http://bit.ly/visopsys-lan (Lan Software & Hardware). In the future will be a Visopsys information place for nerds that search some new ;) .
espectalll123, making dreams work!
espectalll123

Re: Visopsys discussion forum

Post by espectalll123 »

Nobody in the forum... What happend?
El_Matador

Post by El_Matador »

espectalll123 wrote: 1· C libraries ended or, at least, an API for develop Visopsys apps.
2· Include the clock in the window bar (an exterior app that shows on the bottom the clock is'nt a good idea) :evil: .
3· New icons! The actual are (a bit) ugly photos! The sycamoreent icons are a good idea, no?
4· As I talked with Andy: cut, copy and past. Yes, is difficult if we think that is not only text, but...
5· The translations... and better keyboard mapping! The Spanish keyboard mapping is very bad, I tried. Where the "ñ" goes, Visopsys put "€"! That's very ilogical!
6· Help support and tutorial (is a good idea?). New users can learn Visopsys using it.
7· TCP/IP, modem/router drivers and a web browser. MenuetOS got this, in a simple diskette! Made with assembler! If it can be made for Visopsys...
8· And, finally, the PS/2 mouse patch. When I'm bored, I move the mouse. So, if Visopsys is booting and the mouse make that boot stop... :doh:
Good ideas, number 1 is the most important, but I think the new icons are just a waste of time; and cut, copy and paste are essential features, all OS needs them.
++++++++++[>+++++++<-]>++.<+++[>++<-]>+.<++[>--<-]>+.<+++[>---<-]>--.
andymc

Post by andymc »

1. Absolutely, if you guys want to look at any missing/wrong functions in the C library and implement/fix them, that's great
5. More translations can be done using the libintl functions. I already have some German ones that I haven't released yet. You guys can use the keymap program (in the Administration panel) to edit/save wrong keymaps or add new ones. If you do, please send them to me!
7. There's already some UDP/IP implemented. It's on my list to work on, but if you guys want to work on it...
8. Yeah, the PS/2 mouse driver needs to be fixed
El_Matador

Post by El_Matador »

andymc wrote:but if you guys want to work on it...
I would work on it but I am not a developer/programmer, I haven't got enough knowledge. I only know the basic stuff.

I can help with the keymap :idea:
++++++++++[>+++++++<-]>++.<+++[>++<-]>+.<++[>--<-]>+.<+++[>---<-]>--.
espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

I can translate (as I mentioned before) to Spanish and Portuguese (of Portugal, not Brazil :( ).
Snocrash

Post by Snocrash »

andymc wrote:
Hi samir, thanks very much :D

If you download the visopsys source, have a look at how the things in the programs/ subdirectories are built.

At this stage, everything in visopsys is still built under Linux. The compiler is given some particular directives to make it build against the visopsys header files, libraries, etc.

If you want to port a program, best thing would be to create a subdirectory under programs/ and try to build with those same compiler args. The visopsys 'C' library is not complete, so it could be that I (or you) would have to add some functions to get it working. C library functions are usually pretty simple to implement, luckily.
I'm interested in porting some applications too. Could you give an example of how to build an app against the visopsys files and the compiler args needed?
andymc

Post by andymc »

Snocrash wrote: I'm interested in porting some applications too. Could you give an example of how to build an app against the visopsys files and the compiler args needed?
Welcome. The best examples are found in the src/programs directory of the visopsys source. Most of the programs are pretty simple, so you can look at those (such as 'uname.c') and watch how they're built, to see the basics. The src/programs/fdisk directory contains an example of a more complex program.
espectalll123

Post by espectalll123 »

OK, the community is starting to be big... can anyone go to my Lime? :P

Really, only a gag. We're close from the final release (on 5 years I am solding CDs :D ), and we get a growing community. So, I think we could start to make the 0.8 release with that glorious Copy and Paste. So, what are we waiting for? We need to start developing!
ap0r

Post by ap0r »

Also we need more apps, a web browser and a c-compiler so it'll be easier if you can make your own programs from within the os... I'm working in modding some things... but the forums are kinda dead :/