Visopsys discussion forum

General discussion about Visopsys.
luis

Re: Visopsys discussion forum

Post by luis »

Hi Andy, have you posted your to-do list or made it public? I noticed some other bugs and would like to share them. It is highly possible that you are aware of them already. Just curious. Thanks.
andymc

Post by andymc »

luis wrote:Hi Andy, have you posted your to-do list or made it public? I noticed some other bugs and would like to share them. It is highly possible that you are aware of them already. Just curious. Thanks.
Hi luis, I haven't made it public as it's not in an easily-consumed format like bugzilla. It's just a massive text file! If you can fire off a quick bullet-list of issues you've found, then I'll check whether they're already known issues.

The 0.7 release has been sitting at near-readiness for quite a while now, and there's been a massive amount of bugfixing and hardware driver work done since the preview, so I really get on with things and release it...
luis

Post by luis »

One bug, I noticed is when using the configuration editor to change a variable value, if the string value exceeds the length of the textbox (30 chars), then string value is lost.

i.e. editing desktop.config:

background.image=/system/wallpaper/backgrnd.jpg

changed to:

background.image=/system/wallpaper/lebanon-076.bmp

the value saved is:

background.image=bmp
andymc

Post by andymc »

Yup, that's a known problem. I haven't fixed it yet; that GUI widget is derived from the multi-line text area widget, and the 'scrolling' behaviour is wrong. It's definitely on my list!

Any others you can find?
luis

Post by luis »

The other bugs I noted were during installation.

1) With version 0.70-PRE, when booting from the CD, the partition program could not find the formatted hard disk. It gave an error that the disk was not registered. I could not mount the drive either from VSH. Version 0.69 was able to locate the hard disk. I tried partitioning and formatting using many fs types, but still had not had any luck with 0.70.

2) I have a USB 'Y' adapter that I connect my keyboard and mouse to and when I use this I can not use the key board or mouse with the OS. Versions: 0.69 and 0.70-Pre.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi luis,

I've just PMed you a couple of URLs to my latest development version.

The text field horizontal-scrolling bug you mentioned should be fixed now.

This version also contains a lot of work done to the driver for IDE and SATA disks, so it would be really good to know if it can now see all of your hard disks.

USB is a tougher thing to solve at the moment. My USB drivers work pretty well when they work, but they don't work for all devices. Still it would be good to know if this version handles it any better on your system.
luis

Post by luis »

Hi Andy,

Great, I will download the latest version tomorrow and test it.
RhapsodyGuru

Post by RhapsodyGuru »

Wow! It's great to see some activity on this project! I was beginning to get worried that it would become vaporware. Anyway, any estimated release date for 0.7?

Guru
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hey RhapsodyGuru, thanks for the post.

I've just got a couple of little bugs that I want to fix before the release, so it really should just be another few days. Couple of weeks, tops. I hope!
sundhar

Post by sundhar »

Hi this is sundhar and i am trying to build the visopsys source code for the past two days and getting an error
I've tried more than 10 versions ranging from 0.1 to 0.69
I am using Ubuntu that has Gnu gcc and also NASM
Please help me build the source code....
I am working on a new memory managing technique in it

This is the Error i get

make[1]: *** [copy-boot] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sundhar/Desktop/vis/visopsys-0.6-src/utils'
make: *** [all] Error 2