Coordinating Efforts!

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Re: Coordinating Efforts!

Post by andymc »

These things are now available in version 0.8, just released:

•Making the clock be on by default & other improvements to the clock (not on by default, but fixed up and showing in the taskbar menu)
•Compression library
•USB HID code, for touchscreens and such
•Implementing Translations - All of the ones I've been given are in the latest release
•More Icons/Unified theme - There's a whole new, unified icon set
dalmegnu

Post by dalmegnu »

Hi people using Visopsys!

I'm currently writing a simple package manager. I wonder about if I can call it 'Visospys Package Manager (vpm)' (?)
andymc

Post by andymc »

Yes, I've been thinking that we're going to need a package manager fairly soon, because I'm working on the network connectivity, and the next step will be porting a selection of third-party network applications.

(Visopsys) Package Manager seems like a sensible name, but maybe 'package' means more to us computer geeks than it does to average people. I'd like to keep things really intuitive for hypothetical non-geeks who might someday use this system. Maybe Software Manager instead?

Do you want to start a separate topic for this, and we can discuss some design ideas? This thing seems important to get the design correct; up until now, pretty much all the software comes packaged by me, all together in a cohesive bundle. Once it's possible to mix in additional stuff, upgrading, etc., things start to get complicated! And trying to be backwards-compatible can be a nightmare if the original design was limiting. (i.e. you can start with simple features, but the design should be extensible)