Visopsys 0.77 Released

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Visopsys 0.77 Released

Post by andymc »

In case anyone missed it, a few days ago I released version 0.77 (available from http://www.visopsys.org/downloads.htm)
This maintenance release provides performance and quality improvements, rather than new features. Improved boot time and reliability, GUI performance, support for composite USB devices, fixes to several hardware drivers, and additions to the C library.
All of the bug fixes, driver improvements, and performance tweaks have been going into the 0.7x branch along the way. Thus 0.77.

Version 0.8 is getting close to being ready, and it's the one with the new stuff.
ronaldlees

Re: Visopsys 0.77 Released

Post by ronaldlees »

Andy -

Great news! Thanks - I'll try it in the next day or two.

I wonder what's on the "new" feature list for version .8?
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Well, I'm running my homemade tablet (Odroid C1 board) with a new homemade battery supply, and don't really know how long it'll last. Hopefully it'll last long enough to make this post (I haven't put metering circuits in yet) LOL..

Anyway, I tried v0.77 on QEMU 2.3.0 (on this Odroid setup) - and got error:

Code: Select all

Detecting Hardware: PS/2 keyboard error ....

System Halted Panic at KernelMultitasker.c:exceptionHandler(972)
The kernel has experienced divide by zero exception at kernel address c005abec.
I'll check to see what keyboard QEMU is emulating. BTW: my battery's up to an hour and a half so far. Hooray.

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

ronaldlees wrote:I wonder what's on the "new" feature list for version .8?
Nothing mind-blowing, I'm sure, but new stuff :lol:
andymc

Post by andymc »

ronaldlees wrote:I tried v0.77 on QEMU 2.3.0 (on this Odroid setup) - and got error:

Code: Select all

Detecting Hardware: PS/2 keyboard error ....

System Halted Panic at KernelMultitasker.c:exceptionHandler(972)
The kernel has experienced divide by zero exception at kernel address c005abec.
Darn you, Qemu. Always some new problem! I guess I should test with it more often, but I find Qemu awkward. I use VMware for the most part.
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Andy:

New version of Visopsys (0.77) is working fine on older Qemu. That QEMU seems like a moving target. Maybe I'll satrt using VMware instead.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Seems like, not only would I need to test regularly with Qemu, but with a bunch of different versions of Qemu.

In my experience, VMware is the one that's stable, predictable, and usually the virtual hardware is implemented perfectly to spec. I find it to be a very good reference platform. It's also just really nice to use. I've used them all, I think, and VMware is my hands-down favourite. But it's not free, unlike the others :-)