Visopsys 0.8 preview

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Re: Visopsys 0.8 preview

Post by andymc »

dufresnep wrote:cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
Makefile:180: recipe for target 'obj/kernelDisk.o' failed
make[2]: *** [obj/kernelDisk.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/paul/Téléchargements/visopsys-0.8_pre1-src/src/kernel'
Makefile:11: recipe for target 'all' failed
Hi dufresnep, welcome

You're using a newer version of Ubuntu and GCC than I am. The GCC guys change things quite a lot, and there are often new warnings. In building Visopsys, warnings are treated like errors.

The fix for warnings like this is to cast them to something like (void *). It's a volatile structure, but to call memset(), which just takes void *, it needs the cast.

Alternatively, you can just remove -Werror from Makefile.include, at the top level. That will stop treating warnings as errors.
andymc

Post by andymc »

There have been some problems reported in the forums using Qemu, often showing up as CD problems, but more often related to the APIC. It looks like it might be an an APIC problem here.

It does seem to matter what version of Qemu you use, things seem to change a lot from version to version. I know they were making APIC changes relatively recently. I've spent some time debugging it, and trying to get it to work with some newer Qemu versions. The problem is, I don't typically use Qemu myself (VMware) and don't want to spend too much time chasing Qemu compatibility, when it's not too stable.

Visopsys's APIC code is quite new, but in general, it works fairly reliably with real hardware.

Your ISO might be smaller because it doesn't include the docs directory.
Liss

Post by Liss »

Hola amigos!
Hey guys - Christmas is over, New Year a few days, but where what we were waiting for all this year? ANDY :o Where is 0.8? :mrgreen: :?:
andymc

Post by andymc »

Haha, hola, Andy is in Gibraltar. I've been distracted by buying a house and fixing it up, and now a holiday. I'll be back in the new year, and I just have one tricky bug I want to fix before I post the official version. Sorry for the long wait!
Liss

Post by Liss »

Congrats with new home :mrgreen: Give us some photos :D
Liss

Post by Liss »

Hey guys! Where are you? :roll:
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hey Liss!

Up to my neck in PVA glue, that's where! (new wood floors)

But actually I finished the floors on Sunday, I think tonight will be my first night coding in quite a while. I hope! I took a look the other night at where I was with that tricky bug; it might take me a few hours of messing around before I'm back in the groove.
Attachments
floor.jpg