My experiences with Visopsys install on QEMU virt disk

General discussion about Visopsys.
ronaldlees

Re: My experiences with Visopsys install on QEMU virt disk

Post by ronaldlees »

Hi Andy,

Most humble apologies ... I received my brand new SSD, copied my qemu setup to it (along with Gentoo of course) - and ran Visopsys v.9 again. It worked without any interrupt issues. So - the issue was maybe something on my part. Anyway here are some pics of the first run ...
visopsys-connected-to-router-addr-given.jpg
andys-opsys-ping-on-v.9.jpg

I saw the wget app and tried briefly to download something from the internet - but it seems I didn't yet have name resolution. I haven't looked into that to see what I might be doing wrong - but I wanted to give you quick heads up on the change of network success. This is starting to look pretty dang good!
-
- Ron
Last edited by ronaldlees on Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

The "unsupported" ethernet packet in the last pic is from my DVR - video IP protocol, so not an issue.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Ron,

Well, I'm glad that things seem to be working now for you (even if I lament the missed opportunity to debug these maddening interrupt snafus).

If you open up a command prompt, and try something like "host visopsys.org", does it give any error info?
andymc

Post by andymc »

ronaldlees wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm I wanted to give you quick heads up on the change of network success. This is starting to look pretty dang good!
Oh - and thank you! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Andy,

When I type host www.visopsys.org, I get the address response OK. Here's a pic:
visop-wget-1.jpg
The sniffer is great. At my location tho - it really gets pillastered by all the devices I have around here. I suppose I could create an isolated subnet for it. If the sniffer could filter (for instance TCP only, ARP only, etc) - it'd be easier to grab a frame to get a look at it. As it is now, the lines go flashing by - and the sniffer app gets pretty throttled in the process.

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

ronaldlees wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:12 am When I type host www.visopsys.org, I get the address response OK. Here's a pic:
DNS looks alright there. One reason I didn't develop the wget program further is that it doesn't have SSL support yet, and there's not much plaintext HTTP out there on the web nowadays. Which is also true of visopsys.org :-)
ronaldlees wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:12 am The sniffer is great. At my location tho - it really gets pillastered by all the devices I have around here. I suppose I could create an isolated subnet for it. If the sniffer could filter (for instance TCP only, ARP only, etc) - it'd be easier to grab a frame to get a look at it. As it is now, the lines go flashing by - and the sniffer app gets pretty throttled in the process.
Good suggestion, thanks - I've added that to my to-do list.
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Ah yes, looking now at the output from wget, it's obvious that the program is stopping due to the lack of SSL. I'm going to run tcpdump on the Gentoo host for now, since it'll filter the packets down to a manageable level. Should be fun to play with ...

With tcpdump I often filter by port number and/or ip address - which really shrinks the amount of data one needs to wade through. I should probably run screen-print on the host as well - my camera doesn't help the images very much :-(
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Hi Andy,

I used tcpdump on the host computer to grab some ethernet frames. I could follow the frames to verify that wget was doing everything correctly right up until the problem caused by not yet having SSL facilities.

Then I thought I could be tricky and use wget to grab a README file from an ftp server, since ftp doesn't use SSL. Normally, a file can be grabbed via wget with this syntax:

wget ftp://ftp.someftpsite.org/somefile

The program did start a conversation (that I could observe via the host machine's tcpdump output) on the correct port (21) to initiate a download, but something didn't quite line up. Here's a pic:
visop-ftp.jpg
I was able to download a file via regular old http. Some older unix/linux sites still have http servers running on them. Also, my ISP's bad-domain checker page comes from an http server. It works OK with wget on Visopsys. As regards the user-land programs, I know it'll take some time to polish them. That said, the difference between the .8 and .9 versions is amazing. I wonder if your network stack is completely home-brewed? I haven't taken much time to look at the new source.

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Ron,
ronaldlees wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm Then I thought I could be tricky and use wget to grab a README file from an ftp server, since ftp doesn't use SSL. Normally, a file can be grabbed via wget with this syntax:

wget ftp://ftp.someftpsite.org/somefile

The program did start a conversation (that I could observe via the host machine's tcpdump output) on the correct port (21) to initiate a download, but something didn't quite line up.
Well, my wget doesn't 'speak' FTP (only HTTP) but it's cool that it got that far :-). IIRC FTP uses a combination of telnet protocol over TCP for commands, and optionally UDP for data transfers. I did sort of plan to implement FTP, for these 'proof of concept' networking programs, and I did write a telnet library, but in the end, FTP got deferred. I might still do it, though, I'm old-school so I sort of want to.
ronaldlees wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm As regards the user-land programs, I know it'll take some time to polish them. That said, the difference between the .8 and .9 versions is amazing.
Yes, the programs were sort of a last step before releasing 0.9, more to demonstrate what networking features are available and test them. Really, I don't think I should be trying to write too much application software. I tinkered with the idea of doing a primitive web browser, but reconsidered when I realized a) how much work it would be; and b) how much it would suck despite all the work ;-> I need to spend some time engineering a good cross-compiler and toolchain and porting some existing application programs to download from the store.
ronaldlees wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm I wonder if your network stack is completely home-brewed? I haven't taken much time to look at the new source.
Completely from scratch, yes. It was a relatively big project, but that's my geeky version of having fun. It was less work than USB. That was epic.