Visopsys 0.83 released

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Visopsys 0.83 released

Post by andymc »

Hello everybody

Things continue to move along, and version 0.9 is still in the works, but in the meantime here's an update: Visopsys 0.83. The summary:
Overview: This maintenance version features user experience enhancements and reliability improvements, and a more capable Archive Manager program. Bug fixes cover a number of GUI flaws and memory leaks, and some of the low-level network infrastructure code has been refined.
As always, the downloads can be found here https://visopsys.org/download/
And the changelog here https://visopsys.org/download/change-log/
ronaldlees

New changes in 0.83

Post by ronaldlees »

Andy: Thanks for the update. I took a peek at the change-log and saw the jpeg changes you put into v0.83. I have some large jpeg image files that wouldn't load on prior versions, and so it'll be interesting to see if they behave differently on v0.83 ...

The new TCP-related library functions sound interesting. Seems like your C library is getting to be pretty sophisticated. You should give it a name - maybe someone will want to fork it someday.
ronaldlees

Re: Visopsys 0.83 released

Post by ronaldlees »

Hello Andy,

I wonder how your TCP/IP stack is coming along? Been awhile since I checked in - BTW - have a merry Christmas!
-Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Ron,

The TCP, DNS, etc code is 'finished' - has been for a while - but it needs more testing/debugging.

I'm currently focused on making some applications that can use it for real-world stuff.

One thing is a very primitive, throw-away, web browser that's just a proof-of-concept. Slightly more useful will the underlying 'document canvas' widget and the libraries that parse XML and HTML, to render an HTML document in a readable way, and will enable the viewer program to display a local HTML file - such as documentation - reasonably well without a web browser.

Obviously a real user would want to use a port of a real web browser, which will come later, and which will be an installable package pulled down from the software 'store' depot thingy (which is also sort-of implemented for the 0.9 release).

Andy
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

Hi Andy,

I've been retired for a while now - so there's available time to do some testing when v0.9 arrives. Is the v0.9 code online somewhere? I actually think that "primitive" browsers are a good thing. In order to avoid the fluff that comes with javascript, I often turn it off, which results in a primitive but speedy experience. Sometimes I use text mode browsers like links and lynx.

Packages are a nice idea too.

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi Ron!

I thought about posting up a dev version of 0.9 for you to try - and I can do so if you're keen! - but so far, from a user perspective, there's not much obvious added functionality. Most of it is still under-the-covers, or command-line, stuff. I still need to add the polish and the UI stuff that makes the new functionality 'pop', if that makes sense. I fear that if you tried today's version of 0.9, you'd scarcely be able to tell the difference between it and 0.83!

Or like you'd open a command window, and type 'telnet fooxyz.com', and it would work for a hypothetical fooxyz.com because of the new TCP and DNS support, and the telnet library and all the rest, but who really wants to use telnet anyway? ;-) I feel like I need to build more actually useful bits before I can elicit more than a bored yawn from most users. (telnet protocol support is actually useful for other things)

Andy
Berthelot

Post by Berthelot »

andymc wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:24 am Hi Ron!

I thought about giving these teeth whitening kits a shot and posting up a dev version of 0.9 for you to try - and I can do so if you're keen! - but so far, from a user perspective, there's not much obvious added functionality. Most of it is still under-the-covers, or command-line, stuff. I still need to add the polish and the UI stuff that makes the new functionality 'pop', if that makes sense. I fear that if you tried today's version of 0.9, you'd scarcely be able to tell the difference between it and 0.83!

Or like you'd open a command window, and type 'telnet fooxyz.com', and it would work for a hypothetical fooxyz.com because of the new TCP and DNS support, and the telnet library and all the rest, but who really wants to use telnet anyway? ;-) I feel like I need to build more actually useful bits before I can elicit more than a bored yawn from most users. (telnet protocol support is actually useful for other things)

Andy
Is 0.9 going to be the next version, Andy? How far off is it for us regular users?
Last edited by Berthelot on Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hello, welcome!

I think there will be a version 0.84 soon, but it's only lots of small things and bug fixes so far. I'm spending most of my time working on 0.9. I was hoping to release it by the end of 2018, but I still have several things I want to add. It will be a few more months, I assume (I'm also expecting a new daughter in the next couple of weeks!)

Andy