Booting issue

General discussion about Visopsys.
andymc

Re: Booting issue

Post by andymc »

Hi mate,

You're still waiting for me to sort out Ubuntu, yes?

I've been working really hard on some issues that I wanted to solve before the release of 0.7, but I haven't forgotten about this!

Andy
osmiumusa

Post by osmiumusa »

Okey Dokey, just checking.

~osmiumusa :mrgreen:
Lemons. :) Nobody doesn't like lemons!
osmiumusa

Post by osmiumusa »

FYI. Its not virtual box's problem. Qemu does the exact same thing.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hey there,

OK, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 and worked out all the issues I found there.

There were a whole bunch of compiler warnings (errors) about a silly thing - passing a non-constant first argument to printf()-style functions - and I fixed all those.

I saw the same errors as you when using the scripts, so I fixed those too. The shell on Ubuntu was being really picky about some syntax things.

One last thing remains, in that the install images I created under Ubuntu don't boot. They crash during kernel initialization. I'll have to debug that still.

I can send you a link to my latest sources if you want, or else the release version should be out in the next few days.

Andy
osmiumusa

Post by osmiumusa »

Terrific! I really like visopsys because I'm a beginning operating system programmer and this is really easy to understand as opposed to Linux which is complicated and KolibriOS thats simple but written in assembly. So I'm looking forward to trying some things out on my own. :)

As far as the sources go, I would absolutley LOVE the sources to the updated version. Which ever one works with out crashing. Did you get the same boot error message after the spash screen that I got?

~osmiumusa :mrgreen: