I'm a Software developer in C++. I want to...

Discussion about Visopsys Partition Logic
Hronak

I'm a Software developer in C++. I want to...

Post by Hronak »

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I'm a BCA 1st year student. I create software programs in C++. I usually concentrate more on the program's graphics even if it is a Hello World program. I've downloaded the source code of VisOpSys. I'm developing it's graphics. Can anyone tell me how to compile VisOpSys. I use Ubuntu 11.04 with all essential tools installed like NASM, GCC, TCC etc. Just tell me the Commands I need to type in the Terminal. One small problem - Please type all the commands from starting till end. Please...
andymc

Re: I'm a Software developer in C++. I want to...

Post by andymc »

Hello,

There isn't (yet) any runtime support for C++ programs in the operating system (Visopsys), but I think you'll find that the C is programmed in a fairly object-modelled way.

There are problems building from source in Ubuntu >= 10. The linker does some fancy/unusual things with the object files that aren't yet supported by the Visopsys runtime loader. Unfortunately, until I can get that all figured out, you would probably have to use something like a RedHat 5.x (CentOS, which I use, is the free version) instead of Ubuntu.

To build Visopsys you just change into the source directory and type 'make'

To build Partition Logic, you need both source packages. Change into the Partition Logic source directory and create a link to the Visopsys sources like so:

ln -s <path to visopsys source dir> visopsys

Then type 'make'

After that's finished, you can change into the 'utils' directory and use one of the scripts there to create an ISO image, install to a hard disk partition, etc. The command to generate the ISO zipfile is

./image-cd.sh

Hope that helps.
Andy
Hronak

Re: I'm a Software developer in C++. I want to...

Post by Hronak »

Thanks for replying Andy. I know both C and C++. Actually in my School days teacher first thought me C only. From past one month I'm thinking and preparing to create my own Operating System. I've created HelloWorld OS but don't know what to do next. Now I think that I should develop VisOpSys. Seems a bit tricky bcoz there are many header files and a bit hard to understand it... I'll try my best to develop VisOpSys. Just need some help from this Forum to teach me how it works...