IDE controller hang up

Discussion about Visopsys Partition Logic
FierChild

IDE controller hang up

Post by FierChild »

I was trying the Partition Logic and when I boot it hangs at the Detecting Hardware: IDE Disk Controller. As far as I am aware, I do not have SATA drives, and my BIOS screen has no option for it. I don't know what you need to know, so I'll tell what the BIOS says.

My system is an old HP Pavilion 505w with an Intel Celeron 2200/400MHz CPU. The hard drive is a Samsung SV0602H, and the CD-drive in a Philips cdd5301. It has a Floppy Disk Drive: 1.44Mb 3.5". The installed memory is 256MB/ PC2100 DDR SDRAM. My mouse is PS/2, and the keyboard is USB.

Do you use the Upload attachment to put pictures up?
andymc

Re: IDE controller hang up

Post by andymc »

Hello,

Hmm, yes I think we'd need a bit more information about your IDE set up, if you can provide it.

What's the configuration of the drives, i.e. slaves, masters, etc.?

Are there any BIOS settings related to the IDE controller that you can tell us? I'm assuming from what you said that there's no SATA controller in backwards-compatible mode? i.e. No choices between PATA (IDE), AHCI/native (SATA), etc? The current version of Partition Logic needs the controller to be placed in IDE mode, if present, though ideally it shouldn't hang in either case!

Thanks,
Andy
FierChild

Post by FierChild »

Primary Master Samsung SV0602H
Primary Slave Auto
Secondary Master Philips CDD5301
Primary Slave Auto
I have a Floppy Drive if that matters.

Local Bus IDE Adapter is set to both. It can be set to Primary, Secondary, or Disabled.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Cheers,

Can you find any other settings related to IDE/PATA/SATA/AHCI, perhaps on an 'advanced' or 'chipset configuration' or 'onboard devices' page?

Andy
FierChild

Post by FierChild »

This is what's on the advanced Tab, and I don't know where to find the other tabs.

CPU Type Intel Celeron (R)
CPU Speed 2200MHz/400MHz
Cache RAM 128KB

Plug & Play OS [Yes]
Reset Configuration Data [No]
Onboard Video Memory [8MB]
Primary Video Adapter [PCI]
PS/2 Mouse [Auto Detect]
USB Legacy Mode Support [Auto]
Supervisor Password [Enter]
User Password [Enter]
Local Bus IDE Adapter [Both]
Onboard LAN [Enabled]
Onboard Audio [Auto]

> I/O Device Configuration
andymc

Post by andymc »

Thanks. Nothing to change there, I think. What settings are on the

> I/O Device Configuration

page?
FierChild

Post by FierChild »

Serial Port A [3F8H/IRQ4]

Parallel Port [378H/IRQ7]
Parallel Port Mode [ECP]
ECP DMA Select [3]
andymc

Post by andymc »

Nothing there either. :think:

Any other pages with settings related to IDE/PATA/SATA/AHCI ?
FierChild

Post by FierChild »

:? I have five tab options in Bios that I can see. Main, Advanced, Power, Boot, and Exit.

Main has the system time, the system date, language, the info on the floppy drive and both the CD and hard drive, my installed memory (changed to 1GB, apparent MoBo Max), and the Bios Core Version and revision. The core version is 6.0 and revision says 3.05 12/18/02 if that's important.

Advanced Tab I listed earlier.

Power Tab has After AC Power Failure [Stay Off], and the Hardware Monitor that goes into a submenu giving me CPU Fan Speed, System Fan Speed and CPU Temp.

Boot Tab has Boot-time Diagnostic Screen(currently enabled, but was disabled), Quick Boot Mode(currently disabled, but was enabled), and the Boot Device Priority. The Boot priority submenu has four optional submenus: ATAPI CD-ROM, IDE Hard Drive, Removable Device, and Other Boot Device.

Exit I didn't take a picture of, but I think it had four or five options.

I probably should Flash the bios, but I have no idea how. :oops:

Edit: I don't know what this means, but one of the options in other boot device has SCSI in the name, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have anything SCSI-related.

Would it make things worse if I installed another hard drive? I have an old computer with a fried mother board I never got rid of, and I don't remember what kind of hard drive it has.
andymc

Post by andymc »

FierChild wrote: Edit: I don't know what this means, but one of the options in other boot device has SCSI in the name, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have anything SCSI-related.

Would it make things worse if I installed another hard drive? I have an old computer with a fried mother board I never got rid of, and I don't remember what kind of hard drive it has.

It's probably not a problem with the handling of the particular drive, but rather a problem with handling the IDE controller. Adding a second drive wouldn't make it worse, but probably wouldn't make it better, either! :whistle:

I'd be happy to build a couple of custom, debugging versions if you have time to run them, and post the output (photo of the screen or whatever).

It would be good to try and figure this out...

Andy

EDIT: The SCSI thing might be relevant. Can you tell me what it says? Could it be indicating a bootable USB device?