IDE controller hang up

Discussion about Visopsys Partition Logic
FierChild

Re: IDE controller hang up

Post by FierChild »

When you enter the submenu of Other Boot Devices you have a choice between Disabled, SCSI Boot Device, and INT18 Device (Network). So it's bootable, but I've never used it.

I used an Ubuntu Live CD with Gparted and partitioned the drive, but when I installed Ubuntu I noticed it said I was installing to a SCSI Drive. The BIOS calls it an IDE, but Ubuntu calls it SCSI. I'm going to re-install Ubuntu and get a picture of the Install Menu, if you need more info on that.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Newer Linuxes (Ubuntu 11, for sure, and 10 I think) name SATA disks as if they were SCSI (/dev/sda), and I think maybe the same goes for PATA/IDE disks as well.
FierChild

Post by FierChild »

About the custom, debugging versions you were talking about, I have time on the weekends, but I don't know a lot about programming. How would I post the output? I use a buggy Windows XP and Ubuntu, so I'm guessing I'd use Ubuntu. :?:

Trying them out sounds like fun, so if it's not too much trouble. :mrgreen:
vanlarry

Post by vanlarry »

I have a older Dell Dimension 4300S WinXP sp3
Single PATA hard drive.

I have been using P/L version .65 with no problem.
Tried V.71 and it also stops at:
"Detecting hardware IDE disk controller error: Kernel IDE driver C: read write DMA(1453)"
As other have mentioned.

After that, it would hang at the desktop while trying to load drivers.
I believe the driver database was corrupted.
I did a Windows System Restore from the previous day and it then booted normally.

This computer is all original, except for a add on PCI USB 2.0 card.

If information on the computer would be helpful:
Goto: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshoo ... ctSelector
and enter Service Tag #: D3FX411

Thanks,
Larry Van
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hi guys,

Sorry for the slow reply to this issue. I have been fixing something that may well solve this problem. There are issues with PCI interrupt sharing in the released version of the software. If I were to upload a diagnostic/debugging version of Visopsys, would you be able to test it and perhaps post a photo of the screen when it prints out the information? If so, what's your preferred boot image type? floppy/CD/USB?

Andy
vanlarry

Post by vanlarry »

I will try it if it will help.

CD ISO.

Thanks,
Larry Van
andymc

Post by andymc »

Great, thank you.

Here's a link to a debug version of Visopsys. It will stay in text mode, and dump a bunch of info on the screen. I've set it up to pause for 20 seconds at 2 points during hardware detection - after PCI enumeration, and after it detects the PATA controller (hopefully it doesn't hang before the second one). Could you please take a screen photo at both of those pauses, and upload them here?

http://visopsys.org/files/visopsys/viso ... 07-iso.zip

It's conceivable that the problem is already fixed; if that's the case, you would end up with a text session, and you'd be able to launch the Partition Logic program in text mode using the 'fdisk' command.

I really appreciate you offering to help.

Cheers!
Andy
vanlarry

Post by vanlarry »

Hello,
Attached is 1 screenshot of original errors and 2 screenshots of your debug program.

Larry Van
Attachments
Original .71 errors screenshot
Original .71 errors screenshot
Second pause screenshot.
Second pause screenshot.
First Pause screenshot.
First Pause screenshot.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Thanks Larry,

I do spot something suspicious there - the BIOS doesn't appear to have assigned an interrupt to your IDE controller. The operating system might not be correctly servicing your IDE controller's interrupt, which would cause other errors like the mouse "no interrupt" one in the first photo.

The two 'pause' photos you posted appear to be duplicates; have you still got the other one?

Also, if you go into your BIOS setup, under "chipset configuration" (or similar), do you see any options related to SATA (native/AHCI/legacy modes), PATA, or IDE?

Andy
vanlarry

Post by vanlarry »

Andy,
Sorry about the duplicate file.

Hard drive options in bios are Auto or None
No chipset options.
Screenshots of Bios legacy options and the missing file from the last post.

Thanks,
Larry Van
Attachments
Bios Screenshot 2
Bios Screenshot 2
Bios Screenshot 1
Bios Screenshot 1
Missing "Pause" file.
Missing "Pause" file.