Floppy version of Partition Logic

Discussion about Visopsys Partition Logic
howard

Floppy version of Partition Logic

Post by howard »

I created a floppy version of Partition Logic and tried it in my IBM 560x. It will boot up but a message in red appears "x CD-ROM emulation failed" it then goes on to say "Loading visopsys" and then quits. I have tried both .72 and .70 same result. What have I done wrong? I would try a CD ROM version but I have no CD ROM support.
andymc

Re: Floppy version of Partition Logic

Post by andymc »

Hi Howard,

I'm guessing that's a very old machine, with floppy but no CD. Presumably no USB stick booting capability either?

Does the loading seem to progress at all, before it quits? Are there any other error messages at that point?

Do you know what generation of processor is in there? Is it a Pentium-class one? It's possible that I've built the software using binary instructions that aren't supported by your system - in which case, I could try building you one using an earlier processor specification.
howard

Post by howard »

Thanks for the reply. It has a Pentium 1 233mhz. Your logo comes up, then the error message in red, followed by a progress box that gradually fills. When full, it quits processing and then reboots to start all over again. It never gets past the progress box filling. I do have a CD ROM for it but you cannot boot from it.

Howard
andymc

Post by andymc »

No worries :)

If the progress bar goes to the end before the system reboots, then that suggests that the first error message about emulation can be ignored (in fact, it's correct if the system can't boot from a CD).

It would seem as if launching the operating system kernel is causing a triple-fault. That makes me think that the instruction set could be the problem, as per my original guess.

I've built a floppy image for you that uses only the i386 instruction set. Can you give this one a try and see if it's better?

Andy
Attachments
partlogic-2013-09-18-img.zip
(543.12 KiB) Downloaded 2001 times
howard

Post by howard »

Thanks Andy, I downloaded the image and will try it in the morning. I keep you posted.

Howard
howard

Post by howard »

Dear Andy, No luck. I created a new floppy, tried it, same result. Your logo, red message about cd rom, then the box filling, when full the screen goes blank and it starts all over.

Howard
andymc

Post by andymc »

Sorry Howard. Thanks for giving it a try. Unfortunately I don't have anything that old to debug it with. I've had a couple of previous bug reports like this, with older systems, but I'm not sure what to do about it!
howard

Post by howard »

Thanks for the effort. Possibly one of the support drivers rather than the code itself, e.g. video?

Howard