Won't finish booting

Discussion about Visopsys Partition Logic
hooptydoopty

Won't finish booting

Post by hooptydoopty »

Hi,
I am trying to boot from a flash drive, version 0.9. It gets hung up at the screen attached. Looks like it's looking for a PS/2 driver or something. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse attached to my system.
I want to move my Windows 10 OS to a larger drive (who knew 100 GB's was too small?!?!? :shock: ) and was hoping to use this neat little utility.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0365.JPG
andymc

Re: Won't finish booting

Post by andymc »

hooptydoopty wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 pm Hi,
I am trying to boot from a flash drive, version 0.9. It gets hung up at the screen attached. Looks like it's looking for a PS/2 driver or something. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse attached to my system.
I want to move my Windows 10 OS to a larger drive (who knew 100 GB's was too small?!?!? :shock: ) and was hoping to use this neat little utility.

Thanks!
Hello, welcome! Sorry you're having trouble with it.

Those last error messages about PS2 are pretty normal if you don't have a PS2 mouse (most desktop systems). PC motherboards always have the controller on the board, and laptops tend to use PS2 for their touchpads and whatnot.

I'm more concerned about the first message. By any chance, have you got an AHCI SATA controller that's set to 'legacy' (or similar) mode in the BIOS setup? I have seen weirdness like that on my own dev system, when I set it to legacy mode, and I spent ages trying (and failing) to figure out why the interrupts were misbehaving with the APIC in that way.

Andy
hooptydoopty

Post by hooptydoopty »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply! I've attached a pic of what I could find in the BIOS. All I see is AHCI, but no mention of 'legacy.' This was on the SATA configuration page. Is there somewhere else I should look?

Also, the PS2 error just hangs for a long time. It moves on trying to detect other hardware, but they all hang.

I have attached another pic of what it looks like when it has given up. :)

Thanks,
Franz
Attachments
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0367.gif
andymc

Post by andymc »

hooptydoopty wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 pm I've attached a pic of what I could find in the BIOS. All I see is AHCI, but no mention of 'legacy.' This was on the SATA configuration page. Is there somewhere else I should look?
No, that's good, thanks. That second box that says 'AHCI' is probably the one, and that's the non-legacy setting you've got there already. It might be interesting to temporarily change it *to* the legacy setting and see if anything behaves differently.
hooptydoopty wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 pm Also, the PS2 error just hangs for a long time. It moves on trying to detect other hardware, but they all hang.

I have attached another pic of what it looks like when it has given up. :)
It all looks like interrupt problems to me. Unfortunately, that's just about the most difficult kind of thing to debug remotely (see also: occasional memory corruption).

I'll need to look into the code around what's happening at the time of that first message, and have a think. Would you be able to test a debug build? Is a USB stick image preferred?
hooptydoopty

Post by hooptydoopty »

andymc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:51 am It all looks like interrupt problems to me. Unfortunately, that's just about the most difficult kind of thing to debug remotely (see also: occasional memory corruption).

I'll need to look into the code around what's happening at the time of that first message, and have a think. Would you be able to test a debug build? Is a USB stick image preferred?
Sure, I'll test a debug, thanks! I would prefer USB, I don't even have a floppy on this system. ;)

Oh, and I don't have a 'legacy' setting available for the SATA controller, only IDE and RAID.
andymc

Post by andymc »

hooptydoopty wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:07 pm Oh, and I don't have a 'legacy' setting available for the SATA controller, only IDE and RAID.
Ah right, all the BIOS vendors have their own ways of labeling things. 'IDE' is the same as the legacy mode I was trying to describe. As I said, it might be interesting to see whether temporarily switching to that changes anything that might give me a hint. It might not be related to the real problem, but even so it might helpfully shuffle the interrupt assignments.
andymc

Post by andymc »

Also, can you tell me anything about the hardware? Make and model? I might be able to look up the motherboard specs. Is it a laptop?
hooptydoopty

Post by hooptydoopty »

andymc wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:11 pm Also, can you tell me anything about the hardware? Make and model? I might be able to look up the motherboard specs. Is it a laptop?
Hi,
It is a desktop. I put it together in 2018. The motherboard is an ASUS A68HM-K FM2+ AMD A68H FCH. I installed an AMD A10-7700K CPU with 8GB of DDR3 SDRAM.
IDE Mode: same result (pic attached).

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0393.JPG
andymc

Post by andymc »

Hello,

OK, great, thanks for the info. I have another report (in the Visopsys forum) of a similar kind of thing with these unhandled interrupts. However he's getting it with an emulator, so I can run that here and try to debug it hands-on. I think I'll focus on that and hopefully whatever I turn up will help with your problem.
hooptydoopty

Post by hooptydoopty »

Sounds good. Hope you find a fix!