Debugging Visopsys with QEMU

General discussion about Visopsys.
ronaldlees

Debugging Visopsys with QEMU

Post by ronaldlees »

I've been putting posts in a "pcnet..." network thread on the forum, about issues related to debugging Visopsys with QEMU. That's obviously off-topic for that thread, and it's especially bad since I tend to be verbose.

I've started a little Wordpress page to upload info about the debug process. WP allows for screenshots, and those hopefully can be informative, or could perhaps spark the interest of viewers to take a closer look.

https://myprogrammingmiscellany.wordpress.com/

Andy: If you prefer not to have another link to your site, let me know. I'll drop it the link. (Good press though :-) As I said, this is just fun for me.

-Ron
ronaldlees

Re: Debugging Visopsys with QEMU

Post by ronaldlees »

I've started to get deeper into the kernel with the Qemu/Gdb/Emacs debugging, as shown here:

http://myprogrammingmiscellany.wordpres ... ls-part-4/

What I'm finding is that the Qemu+FreeBSD environment is working fabulously with the APIC-enabled kernel. On Debian Wheezy, I usually can't get far enough along to do any network debugging. So, I guess the first question to ask is "Is it really the APIC stuff that's causing the issue?" I need to swap all the debian host stuff out for a No-APIC ISO and kernel and see if it's still a problem there. The second question to ask is "Why would a different host and/or Qemu version make a difference?"

So, for the time being, I'll continue to use the FreeBSD host to go further with the debugging experiment, and do some investigating on Debian to see if it's really the APIC version that's the trouble there.

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

That's really helpful, thanks Ron. I've been distracted for the last few days, trying to fix a few more little bugs ahead of the 0.76 release. I want to get this Qemu+APIC thing figured out as well, so whatever your investigation/fixing turns up, that will speed things along. Good stuff.
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

andymc wrote:That's really helpful, thanks Ron. I've been distracted for the last few days, trying to fix a few more little bugs ahead of the 0.76 release. I want to get this Qemu+APIC thing figured out as well, so whatever your investigation/fixing turns up, that will speed things along. Good stuff.
Great! Can't wait for the .76 release!

I'm referencing Visopsys on the WP page, and in some screenshots, and point from there to here with some links (visopsys.org). There's a notation there that list you as the author/owner of visopsys. Is that OK with you?

- Ron
andymc

Post by andymc »

It's pretty cool to see all that stuff on your page, and thanks for the kind words :animals-chicken: :animals-frog: :animals-chimp: :animals-gerbil:

Version 0.76 is released. I decided not to delay the release until the Qemu problems were resolved -- too many other fixes would be delayed. But I do plan to do at least one more fixes-only release (0.77) relatively soon, before I unleash 0.8.
ronaldlees

Post by ronaldlees »

andymc wrote:It's pretty cool to see all that stuff on your page, and thanks for the kind words :animals-chicken: :animals-frog: :animals-chimp: :animals-gerbil:

Version 0.76 is released. I decided not to delay the release until the Qemu problems were resolved -- too many other fixes would be delayed. But I do plan to do at least one more fixes-only release (0.77) relatively soon, before I unleash 0.8.

Thanks Andy. I'll check it out. Glad you liked the "review" on WP. The weird thing is that my statcounter does not show any visitors (other than myself). You may have been on another web site!
andymc

Post by andymc »

I went to the site and visited each of the Visopsys posts, I think! :shifty: