Hello world :)

General discussion about Visopsys.
oscar

Hello world :)

Post by oscar »

Hello Andy and Visopsys community,

I'm Oscar. I found Visopsys while I was looking for alternative operating systems, and I want to tell you that I'm totally amazed. Your project is so cool. I understand you are making a great effort (and obtaining good results, I think) :clap:
Thank you for releasing it to the world as an open source operating system. I hope it will continue improving and that it will achieve a beautiful version 1.0 and so much more ;)
I'm not a C expert (maybe intermediate, I'm not sure hehe) and I just have very basic knowledge about assembly language, but I like to write code and try new things, so if I can help I will be glad doing it.

See you around! :)
andymc

Re: Hello world :)

Post by andymc »

Hi Oscar,

Thank you very much for your kind words of support :-)

I've had a new version (0.72) ready to go for a little while (mostly hardware support improvements) but I just haven't released it yet because of my schedule. Hopefully I'll finally do that in the next few days.

Any help you can give would be welcome! What type of OS-related subjects are you interested in?

Andy
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi Andy,

I think that maybe I could give some little help related to the creation of new programs or utilities. Or I might try to debug some program, like the text editor. Another possibility would be, as others have already said in the forum, to translate the system to other languages, or to prepare some youtube video...because currently there are only 7 or 8 reviews and one video more related to the installation of the system that one member of the forum uploaded some time ago.

Talking about the creation of new programs... I tried to run a calculator that I have done for Linux in Visopsys 0.71 but it didn't work, I don't know why. I compiled it using the visopsys 0.71 libraries (stdio.h, stdlib.h, unistd.h, string.h... changing the route of the #include) and I obtained the executable file, but when I put it in the programs folder of the Visopsys system and I tried to run it in the console window it didn't do anything.
I guess it's because I need to use some system call or some special commands so that the program can run in the console window. I have to continue studying about programming : ))

By the way, I already have installed Visopsys 0.72 in Virtualbox and it looks great! ;)

Have a nice day!

Oscar
andymc

Post by andymc »

oscar wrote:I think that maybe I could give some little help related to the creation of new programs or utilities. Or I might try to debug some program, like the text editor.
The text editor could certainly use some fixing :lol: It was just a very basic one that I wrote, but it's not very clever. One thing on my to-do list is to get it to work in text mode.
oscar wrote:Another possibility would be, as others have already said in the forum, to translate the system to other languages, or to prepare some youtube video...because currently there are only 7 or 8 reviews and one video more related to the installation of the system that one member of the forum uploaded some time ago.
Yes, there is an internationalization system in place, and there are loads of strings that can be translated. At one point, a German translation was created for Partition Logic (which is really just Visopsys). It would be a lot of work perhaps, but maybe one could just translate all the stuff that appears in the normal UI, and it wouldn't be too bad. I can give you info to get you started. What languages can you do?
oscar wrote:Talking about the creation of new programs... I tried to run a calculator that I have done for Linux in Visopsys 0.71 but it didn't work, I don't know why. I compiled it using the visopsys 0.71 libraries (stdio.h, stdlib.h, unistd.h, string.h... changing the route of the #include) and I obtained the executable file, but when I put it in the programs folder of the Visopsys system and I tried to run it in the console window it didn't do anything.
I guess it's because I need to use some system call or some special commands so that the program can run in the console window. I have to continue studying about programming : ))
In order to create programs for Visopsys, you'll need particular compiler/linker settings. If you compile under Linux without a cross-compiler, you'll get a program created for Linux instead of Visopsys. The easy way to build programs for Visopsys is to download the source, and go to the src/programs directory. If you add your program to the Makefile and build it there, the build will automatically give you all the correct compiler and linker settings, libraries, include files, etc.
You can also use the things in that directory to get a sense of how the Visopsys API works. Simple ones like 'mines.c' do some basic things with GUI buttons, etc., that might be useful for porting your calculator.

Any user programs you'd like to create would be welcome. The original Minesweeper and Calendar programs were contributed by others.
oscar wrote:By the way, I already have installed Visopsys 0.72 in Virtualbox and it looks great! ;)
Sweet! Thanks :dance: