Translating Visopsys OS

General discussion about Visopsys.
nextvolume

Re: Translating Visopsys OS

Post by nextvolume »

By the way you can add Italian to the list of translations, as I'm currently translating the strings.
One issue I have found is with prompts - prompts to enter Yes/No, etc. - there is no way to change the keys that must be pressed in order to answer the prompt.
For example, instead of 'Y' (yes) and 'N' (no), Italian has 'S' (si) and 'N' (no).
Visopsys@Unhaut - http://unhaut.fav.cc/visopsys
andymc

Post by andymc »

Cool!

In those cases, we could change the 'Y' or 'N' to use the uppercased first character of the translation of "yes" or "no". Like:

Code: Select all

printf("(%c)%s/(%c)%s?", _("Yes")[0], (_("Yes") + 1), _("No")[0], (_("No") + 1));
Something like that? Can you identify all the places where we'd need it?
andymc

Post by andymc »

ap0r wrote:Well, spanish seems to be OK, except that some strings are still english
And some of them look suspiciously similar to German :lol: (User Manager)
ap0r

Post by ap0r »

andymc wrote:
ap0r wrote:Well, spanish seems to be OK, except that some strings are still english
I blame Fosforito! :P I reviewed my half of the strings and they're all translated!
fosforito

Post by fosforito »

ap0r wrote:
andymc wrote:
I blame Fosforito! :P I reviewed my half of the strings and they're all translated!
:oops: I already noted that... I'll fix that at home :D
andymc

Post by andymc »

Howdy mates,

I've been hard at work. Here's the latest: http://visopsys.org/files/visopsys/viso ... 23-src.zip

I've been working on a bunch of stuff, trying to make user-specific settings generally, re-implementing the kernel's "variable list" functionality, separating the "window shell" functionality from the rest of the window system (in anticipation of making it a user-space program, later), and improving the general language-switching experience.

For the moment, there's still no install-time language choice. You still have to create a user and then choose a language for him.

But, if you change the language while logged in as that user, you'll notice that the 'User Manager' program tries to switch language immediately. It's something I'm working on. Other things will show the change when you open new instances. The window shell itself (the top menu, the desktop icons, etc) still needs you to re-login.

I've implemented language-specific configuration files (for example in dist/system/config/de/desktop.conf, etc) where you just override the variables that have translatable strings. I've tried to plug a few sensible-looking things in there, for German and Spanish, but any corrections would be appreciated.

Andy
ap0r

Post by ap0r »

Whoa there, lots of advancements towards a more dynamic and easier to customize Visopsys! This extra sweat now, will save tons of headaches in the future (and maybe create a few new headaches) :P

Moving the window shell to userspace sounds logical. I wonder about language selection... Should Visopsys start the installation in English or ask for a language first and foremost?

I like the new dynamic language, reboots/relogins and other time-wasting tasks are a pain in the ass so eliminating or keeping them to a minimum is the best for any OS and not just visopsys,

I'll check this in detail and let you know of any bugs that arise or ideas that i think of.

Cheers!
Liss

Post by Liss »

fosforito - what does mean "lectoescritura"?
Google recognize galician language and translate this to russian approx. as "Read letter"

BTW about 60% russian translate ready. Some programs will be not translated. E.g. telnet. Too many specific words, wich not traslate on russian.
Liss

Post by Liss »

Note that the .po files are now saved with the ISO-8859-15 character set. Visopsys doesn't support UTF-8 yet
Cyrillic is CP866, 1251, 1252, UTF-8, KOI-8R, KOI-8U, ISO-8859-5. What wich i can use?
ap0r

Post by ap0r »

Liss wrote:fosforito - what does mean "lectoescritura"?
Google recognize galician language and translate this to russian approx. as "Read letter"

BTW about 60% russian translate ready. Some programs will be not translated. E.g. telnet. Too many specific words, wich not traslate on russian.
"Lectoescritura" means Read/Write (as in capability to read/write files"

Congratulations on the progress! :D